Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Appsperiments

My Droid finally broke down and died last month. I took the opportunity to trade (up?) to an iPhone 4 - on the Verizon network. I've been a happy Verizon customer for 15 years.

What's the first thing I do with my new phone? I mean like - the VERY FIRST THING - before I make a call, send a text, set up email - before any of that - I download the application Instagram and take a photo of myself. Still in the parking lot.

It's why I bought the phone.

Seriously. For the past several months I've been admiring the stunning photographs posted by my friends via Instagram.  I was dying to see how it worked and try it out. but the app isn't available for Android so, until I did the switch, I was helpless to participate.

Since that day, about a month ago, I might have gone a little overboard with the photo app purchases and downloads. Last count, I had about 20 of them. Aside from Instagram - which I adore - my favorite applications for photography are LensFlare, Blender, Labelbox, ColorSplash, Diptic and Camera +. I use them in combination to create what the iPhonographers call "appsperiments." Sure, I'm used to touching up photos in Adobe Photoshop on my client's projects, but altering them significantly - no way. Maybe this is why I so love this hobby: it's exactly what I don't get to do at work.

A flickr pro account (graciously gifted by a friend!) allows me to upload all of these crazy photos to one place to organize, label and tag. Finding flickr groups to join has been fun. Being invited to join groups: gratifying.

I love using this phone as a camera. In fact, I use it more often as a camera then anything else. It should really be called an iCamera with a built in phone.

But I digress.

There is a lot that I've learned about graphic design over the (ahem) 15 years in the business that correlate to composing photographs. With the iPhone apps, I can go beyond the capture and add elements that tell a richer story. Because, lets face it, a truly good photograph tells a tale. It speaks in larger ways than words.

Aside from great personal satisfaction with this new hobby, I've gotten some really nice feedback from the public specter that is tremendously encouraging. In the last two days:


So, if you're on Instagram, please follow me at berzerkeley. And just to confuse you, on flickr, I'm corikesler

Let's share photos. Let's tell stories.

1 comment:

  1. I too use my iPhone as an iCamera. I forgot my iPhone when I went out yesterday. I missed being able to take a picture whenever I felt like it, which is often. I created an Instagram account a bit ago, but I haven't begun using it yet. You and Bumble Ward on Twitter/Facebook both take lots of Instagram photos, which I love. I like this post.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments on my posts! Yours will be approved within a couple of hours. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my words.